~

~

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Mom's Speech for Kenzie & Ben’s Reception



Intro:

We've been planning every detail of this day for a long time! A few weeks ago, Kenz came to me and said they had decided to have only the dad's speak at the rehearsal dinner. She apologized and said she felt bad. Little did she know, that was music to my ears! But I couldn't let this day end without saying a few things.


  1. THANK YOU!

First, Thank you for being here today. I know some of you have traveled long distances to be here. It means so much to us and especially Ben & Kenzie.


We often hear the phrase "it takes a village." Thank you for being our village. These two kids wouldn't be this amazing without your love, support, and influence. So thank you!


  1. Protect & Take Care Of

Second, I'm sure we aren't the only parents who upon gazing at their child for the first time, start dreaming about the mile stones in their life. Her first word, her first step, starting kindergarten, her first crush, and of course we dreamed of her

wedding day. Aaron and I hoped she find somebody that would love, protect, and always take care of our little girl.


Ben is very quiet and it took us a while to get to know him. It was obvious he loved her but we weren't sure he checked all the other boxes, until we invited him on our family vacation to Florida.


After a day of sightseeing, we pulled into the driveway of the house we had rented and there was a very drunk man yelling at our car. He was confrontational and made us all uncomfortable. So Aaron got out first stood between this man and the rest of us. Of course we all had bolted into the house. But when Aaron turned around, he was surprised to see Ben. Ben hadn’t run in with the rest of us. It was a small and brave gesture but it was the moment Aaron knew Ben would always protect his little girl.


On this same trip, we went to Disney World and decided to go on a ride called mission space. It's a pretty intense ride. The second the ride was over. Kenzie bee lined it to a little patch of grass where she spent the next hour on her hands and knees so sick. The first 20-30 minutes we felt bad for her and did our best to calm her down. But after a while we were done waiting. We left Ben to take care of Kenz so we could ride the rides. 


After a while, my mom guilt kicked in. I knew Kenzie was embarrassed. She looked like death. And I felt bad that Ben was missing out on all the fun. So I went back. I found Ben at the entrance of the women's restroom. He was

holding a glass of ice water asking complete strangers if they would go into the restroom, holler his girlfriend's name, to give her some water. When I offered to stay with Kenz so he could go ride the rides he declined. I don't think they rode one ride after that. Again, it was a small gesture but in that moment, I knew Ben would always take care of my little girl.


  1. At Last

Finally, as you arrived here tonight there's a sign out front. It doesn't say Welcome. It says AT LAST. Theses two fell in love over five years ago but they took their time when it came to marriage. They have been through many ups and downs together. I remember during one of those "down" times having a conversation with

Kenzie. I will never forget when she stopped me mid conversation and said; "Mom. I KNOW he's the one. I love him and I will wait forever if I have to."


We’ll Kenzie, the waiting is over. Your day is here AT LAST. You have married not only the man of your dreams but the man your dad and I dreamed you would find. 


And Ben - You are the luckiest man in the world! We love you! You have been “family" for a long time but today it is official and we couldn't be happier!


So before we will let them change their clothes, say our final goodbyes, and send them off to start their lives together, I am going to ask them to go back on the dance floor. And because they don't like to be the center of attention, I invite you, our village, to grab someone you love, and join them for one more dance as we celebrate this special day- AT LAST! 

No comments:

Post a Comment